The Saddle Research Trust
A change in your horse’s performance or behaviour may be a reflection of underlying musculoskeletal pain. A common cause of this is back pain, which may be primary, or secondary to associated lameness.
Whilst there are many causes of back pain in horses, in ridden horses it can often be attributed to saddles with poor design or fit both impeding the horse’s movement or the rider’s balance. With the saddle’s impact on performance, it’s surprising that the design and function has been little researched – which is where The Saddle Research Trust (SRT) steps in! Founded in 2009, the SRT is a charitable organisation, which has been established to scientifically and objectively lead and support research into the influence of saddles on the performance and welfare of horses and their riders. Through a variety of education programmes designed to raise awareness and distribute knowledge globally, the trust aims to provide support and advice both to horse owners and industry professionals.
- Research areas that the SRT has been involved with recently include;
- Welfare, performance and safety issues of saddles
- Back problems and associated behavioural issues.
- Causes of saddle-related poor performance and wastage in sports horses.
- Safety aspects of saddle design.
- Saddle fitting in relation to weight fluctuation & obesity.
- Effects of saddle design on rider performance and health.
- Saddle design for disabled riders.
- Rider weight pilot study
- Educational short films